Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Kindness in Action

This Sunday was our Church’s introductory Sunday into the Fruit of the Spirit, Kindness. Niqui, my fellow teacher, and I put together a definitional teaching on the fruit and in the process I learned a good deal about kindness that was all new to me. One of the things I learned is that kindness is not a passive response to others; it is a very active and intentional effort to extend service and respond appropriately to others. While studying some of the aspects of ‘response to others’, I encountered one of my weaknesses, listening.

Listening is a difficult skill to cultivate for me. I oftentimes find myself thinking ahead and formulating my answer to others instead of honing in and hanging on every word they say. So this week I am actively seeking out ways in which to practice my listening skills, my kindness, towards others.

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to observe a forum of discussion offered to my particular age group (20’s – 30’s) by our elders. I was overwhelmed with gratefulness for the manner in which the forum was conducted. We were actively being listened to and not debated on what our dreams, visions, aspirations, hopes, and even gripes were in the area of ministry. I felt this was an incredible demonstration and powerful example given to us by our elders in the area of kindness and I want to thank you so much for teaching me by example, the art of listening.

As is usually the case with all effective teaching, I am motivated to act on and reciprocate the kindness. And so I would like to take this opportunity to offer up this particular blog to actively listen to my elders express the dreams, hopes, expectations and even gripes they have for my generation, uninterrupted. You exercised incredible kindness and self control in listening to us and now I want to sit at your feet and listen to you. What kinds of things motivate you in your ministry? How can we best help you, serve you, and empower you? In our desire for increased leadership and responsibility how can we best incorporate you into that pursuit and not run over or push you aside in the process? The only rules to this discussion are you must be 40+ to comment and no fighting. Simply express. I want to know, experience, and understand where you are coming from.

No comments: