Monday, February 21, 2011

Fruit of the Spirit - Patience

The Greek word for patience is makrothymia. The literal translation of this word is longsuffering or slow of anger. The fruit of the Spirit, patience, follows peace. In the study of peace we concluded that a completion of covenant or faith and fulfillment in promises brings peace in our lives. This becomes an important element in exercising longsuffering. We are incapable of suffering for very long when we do not have hope or promises to cling to that sustain us. Trust in the promises of God and the belief that He will fulfill His Word in our lives empowers us with a sense of peace that enables us to exercise great patience and endurance through all circumstances. Peace comes from knowing that God's plans are complete, but patience (longsuffering) is how we handle the circumstances that arise during the fulfillment of God's plans.

Restraint, slow to anger, or long-pinioned are all word developments from the root of patience. We see Jesus exemplifying these characteristics during times of temptation and great suffering. Romans 5:3 states "And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; and patience, experience; and experience, hope." Patience is a fruit that we obtain on a "need to know" basis. Patience can only be exercised in the presence of suffering. If we beseech for patience out of its season then we are in essence requesting suffering. We should not desire patience simply because it sounds like a holy prayer or attribute. We should desire patience because there is a real and present suffering that we must endure.

"The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance." 2 Pet 3:9 This verse has hidden insight in its identification of the idea that God suffers as well. Since we are the direct recipients of his longsuffering then it is we (in our sin) who cause His suffering. We see this in the fall of man, throughout history, and at the foot of the very cross. The repentance of sin becomes the means by which we ease God's suffering while simultaneously allowing Him to eradicate those sins from our lives through His forgiveness.

Over the last two years I have undergone tremendous suffering of which I am still unable to voice in its fullness. My immediate desire was to respond in anger; to avenge my hurt by venting my wrath. The study of longsuffering convicted me to lay down my lust for revenge and give it over to God. In response God afforded me promises that helped me to overcome my pain and sustain me through it as I cultivated patience with the circumstances that tore my heart apart.

There is an inherent battle that is waged by the world against Christ. The very physical depiction of Christ's suffering on the cross is a graphic example of what happens spiritually in the daily battle against sin. Because Jesus Christ lives in those of us who profess to be believers in him there is a constant battle waged within us against the sin of this world. We struggle with it in every breath we take. The evil in this world is intent on killing Christ and because he lives in us the world attempts to kill our hope in Christ through the infliction of pain and suffering. It is of vital importance then, in order to obtain patience and endurance through suffering that we take hold of and cling to the promises God gives to us. If you find you are experiencing great suffering and feel the despair of a losing battle, spend some time with God in pursuit and petition for promises that will sustain you through it.

While we know the world persecutes us with a vengeance, the fact remains no matter what the fatal result of our suffering, we have hope in the resurrecting power of God. This week I experienced the emotional death of something very precious to me. I suffer. But in my suffering I know that in spite of this significant emotional event I have hope in the power of  Christ's resurrection. I have the promise of new life, which without suffering would not have been possible. Thank you God for my new life. Even though I cannot see all the details and cannot know its fulfillment at this moment, I have faith that I will eventually see it and that eases my suffering.

7 comments:

John Stockwell said...

Hi Deb,

You might want to read up on "thumos"
it is more complicated than merely
being "anger".

-John

Deborah Downs said...

Also means passion or inflaming wine. Comes from the root word meaning "to slaughter".

John Stockwell said...

I would encourage you to dig deeper
on this. You will find that how a word
is translated is often not the same as
the meaning of the word in context in
ancient literature. Because later literature is based on the translation
and not on the original, meanings may
be changed considerably.

Douglas Groothuis, Ph.D. said...

Stockwell used to stalk my site until I banished him. He must have come over when I posted there months ago. Sorry about that.

The painting you used is by Georges Rouault, a master of depicting the human condition.

Douglas Groothuis, Ph.D. said...

My profile picture is Rouault's, "Three Clowns."

Deborah Downs said...

Yes, I have you to thank for turning to Rouault's work when writing on the topic of long-suffering.

I don't mind John's presence here. He prompts me to think and defend deeper, which never hurts. He asked a good question this time too. I have learned some larger lessons about patience that I did not expect to.

John Stockwell said...

You can read for yourself what I wrote
on Dr. Groothuis' blog in
the period before he banned me.

I stand by what appears there. I don't
consider commenting on many of Dr.
Groothuis' often inflamatory and wrongheaded
opinions, particularly those with regard
to science and intelligent design, to be "stalking". If he does, then this might explain why he has virtually no posts critical of what he writes appearing there in recent years.

I find Debbie's posts to be thoughtful and genuine. They are a window into a far gentler, and less combative view of the seminary than Dr. Groothuis'.

With any student we can only encourage them to question what they think they know, and not merely repeat what some professor tells them.

(For example, I was hoping that Debbie would read what Plato and others had to say about "thumos".)