Sunday, July 27, 2014

Messing with the Status Quo

"I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath. Scared to rock the boat and make a mess. So I sat quietly, agreed politely. I guess that I forgot I had a choice. I let you push me past the breaking point. I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything." ~ Katy Perry

I did. I just quoted Katy Perry. Mark your calendars, because it's not likely to happen very often. But it was awfully coincidental that this song came on the radio right after I read an article on the gullibility of Eve. The presented idea was that women are more gullible than men, therefore, incapable of leadership. Dear Katy Perry reminded me from where gullibility originates. I told a co-worker a few months ago that he lacked convictions. He believed in nothing and had no anchor to which to tether. As a result, he believed everything others told him and followed them blindly. It was unfortunate since they were feeding him lie-drenched promises of status and wealth. Gullibility is a result of a lack of convictions. 

There is nothing innate in the makeup of a woman that makes her gullible. Gullibility is a result of ignorance, deception, oppression, and weakness. Gullibility is a result of cultural conditioning by a fallen world. Society has traditionally told women that they are uneducated, subservient, incapable, and weak. In this sense, we have been gullible. We believed it. We lacked convictions. I allowed a person to tell me for years that I was stupid. And I believed it to the point that it became the dominant voice in my head. When I wanted to write, the voice prevented me - you are stupid. When I wanted to go back to school the voice spoke up again - you are stupid. When I would try to discern ministry, vocation, calling, and direction the voice was there - you are stupid. I was gullible. I believed a lie. 

I have read comments and articles about single parents as a drain and burden on society. Many believe that. It is the status quo. I mess with the status quo. I am not a drain on society; I am a contribution. I work. I dream. I create. I serve my God, my family, and my country. I invest. I give. I love. And I tell other individuals that they are capable of the same. The status quo gets blamed for a lot of our failures. When I hear people minimize sin as a result of the status quo I cringe. "All men struggle with this or that" or "All women do this or are incapable of that." To this or that, I wave the BS flag. That's the greatest deception of all and you have been tricked. You are living under the shadow of a curse from which you have been redeemed. 

Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 11:2-4 to the audience of the entire church, men and women. ALL are potentially gullible. Historically, this has been women's area of gullibility: we believe we should not lead, we should not speak, we should not preach, teach, or exercise authority because that is what we have been told. And guess what? We fell for it. We have been deceived. Paul again addresses foolish gullibility in his opening of Galatians 3. I'm not even going to verse 28 (jew/greek, slave/free, male/female) if that's what you thought. The power is in verse 13. Verse 28 is just a result of embracing the truth in verse 13. "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us - for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree." So much rhetoric circulates on the burden of the curse as reasoning for women's disposition. But it's just not true. Verse 28 only becomes reality when you acknowledge the veracity of verse 13. Christ became the curse of the fall for us. He bore the thorns and thistles of a fallen world on his head, the stripes of pain and torment, the nails of oppression. To say that we still live under the burden of the curse is to negate the work of Christ on the cross. You reject Christ and the freedom He brings. You are, in your own gullibility, unredeemed. What a magnificent lie! If only Satan could convince God's people that there were shades of gray in the redemption of Christ to which we are still held in bondage. If only the enemy could convince half the world they were incapable of standing up to him and exercising their voices and dominion over the earth. Wouldn't that be a fantastic ploy?

I hear my fair share of opinions on women in the workplace and its negative impact on the home and I think this is a correlation that does not imply causation. The negative impact on the home is a result of any parent that is absent, mother or father. The breakdown of society began when fathers left the home. The only thing holding it together after that was the fact that mothers stuck around and picked up the slack. So yes, our family infrastructure does ultimately break down when we are pulled more and more out of the home, but only because no one is left - fathers already deuced out. Women are survivors. They are thrivers. Cultures rise and fall on the backs of caretakers, be they male or female. I come from a long line of strong single mothers. I had both my parents, but their mothers and generations before were victims of abandonment. The home does not fall apart because mothers work. The home falls apart because either fathers or mothers neglect the balance and responsibilities of work and home. It is not relevant who goes to work or even if both go to work as long as they are both equally present (emotionally, mentally, and physically) in the home. No one is neglecting their parental responsibilities by working; they are, in fact, fulfilling them. It is important that I instill a good work ethic in my children. It is important that they see me enjoying my work, providing for their needs, and having fun with them. I admit I'm carrying a lot of slack right now. I always have. I understand all too well the value of a helper. But from my perspective I am not the helper. I need help. Families are a lot of work and everyone needs helpers. We are designed for community. And while the family is the most basic unit of community, other methods of community are available and we never need be "alone." I have friends and family who help me out. I have a church and a healthy workplace. I surround myself with people who invest in me and I, in turn, invest in them. They are my helpers and we make it work. 

What is the status quo really? The status quo is the existing state of affairs. The status quo is the idea that we live in a fallen world and must simply put up with and accept the consequences of sin. The status quo is devoid of hope and vision. The status quo never changes. History only ever repeats itself until someone does something different, something drastic, something revolutionary. We commit the same fallacies, worship the same idols, fight the same wars, believe the same lies. It is not until gods become servants and lay down their lives, life conquers death, the powerful humble themselves, and the last become first that a new present exists, a new history, a new future, a new creation. I am not about the status quo. I am all about messing with the status quo.  

I will not live as a victim. I am not gullible, ignorant, or deceived. Bad things have happened in my life. I have felt pain and suffering. I have felt like giving up. But you work through it, you survive, and you thrive. The greatest lie I could believe is that I am at a disadvantage or there is something wrong with me because I am a working mother, a warrior, aggressive, assertive, courageous, the spiritual head of my home, an initiator. There isn't. I did not arrive at these roles by default; they simply are who I am. I am a strong intelligent woman with two insanely gifted children and lots of helpers. I am a leader. I am a speaker, a writer, a teacher, a preacher. I am an encourager, a nurturer, a comforter. I am giddy, goofy, adventurous, and funny - and dang it people like me! I may not be painting elephant toes anytime soon or swinging through the jungle from a vine, but I will be louder than a lion. Why? Because I'm rebellious? Obstinate? Gullible? No. Because I am not easily dissuaded or deceived. I do not live in the shadow of the curse. I am redeemed. I have convictions. I fight for what I believe. I am a champion. And you're going to hear me roar.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I no way am I a religious person and for the most part make it a priority to avoid Christians as much as I possible I cannot begin to describe how much I missed reading this blog. Cliche as this may sound your words carry a lot of weight and inspiration

Thank you so kindly for returning to it. I look forward to future post.

Unknown said...

YES!! This is absolutely awesome! I'll be sharing this with so many. Please keep writing!