Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Beers, Baths, and Beauty Sleep

I meant to get to my 500 words a lot earlier today, but alas, it did not happen. Life got busy. I'm not really stuck on the 500 words bit. I just have to cultivate a habit here. Between work, basketball games, T-Ball tryouts, updating kids' vaccines, meals (I think there were meals in there - did I forget to eat?) running, and whatever else popped up, there just wasn't enough time in the day. Oh yes, and I also had to outfit Declan for his TBall debut. Glove, cleats, bat, baseball, etc. He wouldn't take the cleats off after we got home so I let him wear them until bedtime. It was cute. Made all the rushing around today worth it.

I read a bit more from Acedia & Me. I was particularly fond of Thomas Aquinas' recommendation to cure the malady - a hot bath, a glass of wine, and a good night's sleep. That, my friends, is a man after my own heart. I'm pretty sure that's the homeopathic cure for all that ails. Leave it to one of the most brilliant philosophical and theological minds of the millennium to come up with something so basic. Of course, if it was that simple I'd have a lot of friends out of a job. Pretty sure there's an entire industry that thrives off unhealthy minds. And let me tell you, that medication is quite a bit pricier than a bottle of wine and few gallons of hot water. Nonetheless, I shall give it a try one of these days when I feel plagued by lethargy or an onslaught of The Noonday Demon. In fact, I'm going to try it right now! Only with a beer instead of wine. I'm out of wine.


I read an article today about atheists being killed off in Bangladesh. I found that heartbreaking. Everyone raises a stink when their own group is persecuted, but for some reason no one seems to care that other human beings are being slaughtered under the very same guise of "we think our belief system is the best." If you think about it, it should be the exact opposite. If we believe our system is ingrained in truth then doesn't it make sense that death of our own is not a thing to fear? I mean really. We're all going to die anyway - at least we believe we're going to a better place, or a better time, or a better dimension, or whatever. The death of others, however, if not part of your belief system, are destined to go somewhere a lot worse. Right? So why are we killing them?!? Knock it off! Well, to be fair, it wasn't Christians doing the hacking. It was Muslims. But knock it off all the same! My best friend is an atheist. I would not take kindly to anyone hacking her up. My best advice to those perturbed by atheists - get to know one. And by that I mean closer than glaring at them down the end of your nose, or chainsaw.

Ok, enough on that rant. I need to get my beer, bath, and beauty sleep going. Thanks Aquinas!


No comments: