Thursday, May 22, 2008

Hope And The Future


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Growing up never more than an hour away from the coast, I thought I would never be at home anywhere but by the sea. Well that has changed as I have grown. The most comforting and beautiful place I have ever lived is at the foot of the great Colorado Rocky Mountains. Every day (that I make it outside) I look up at those mountains and I praise God for his beautiful creation and the wonder of his creativity in all things.

This last week has been a hard week for me. I literally accomplished nothing yesterday because I was so depressed. As some of you know we are a military family and so are subject to the whims of assignments. I found out yesterday that I only have a year and a half left in Colorado and then we must move on to another assignment. Where? We're not sure yet... but the prospect of leaving this place has thrown me into utter turmoil.

Whenever I get in one of these moods I always think of that scene in Anne of Green Gables where Anne is in utter despair after learning her adoption was a mistake and she says to Marilla, "Can't you even image you're in the depths of despair?" Marilla turns to Anne and says, "No, I cannot. To despair is to turn your back on God." And so... I am doing my best to not despair.

I know that God cares for me and He will watch over me, providing new opportunities to grow in Him wherever I may be but it is hard to see past the immediate hurt to the comfort of His arms as He awaits, coaxing me forward into the future. I will probably be just fine in a week but having only 24 hours so far to process the information... well... I'm still processing. So if you're wondering why I haven't posted much this week... that's why.

But I am holding on to the promise of Jeremiah 29:11, that no matter where we go, God has plans to prosper us and not to harm us, plans to give us hope and a future.



4 comments:

kstivers said...

hey sister,

you never know what God has up His sleeve....Colorado maybe just prep work for what He needs you to do somewhere else. The thought of you leaving makes me very sad......but my faith tells me to encourage you. This is all coming from a girl who gets attached and sometimes can't let go......so I am trying to listen to what God is asking me to do for you. Look for the sunshine...feel the warmth of God's promise to us and hang in there. I am here if you need anything!

Deborah Downs said...

Thanks Keri. This actually happened at the last duty assignment too. I was doing so well not making friends and then I decided to go and make some good friends. A few weeks later... whadya know... we get orders. So I have a solution... wherever we go, I will make friends right off the bat thereby ensuring a short stay and quick return to Colorado!

Unknown said...

Uggghhhh. Not what I was hoping to hear, Debbie. We were just talking about this hypothetical last weekend, and now you find out it's going to happen. I can imagine how upset you were. I ditto what Keri said, all of it. It's hard to imagine TheGath. without you and Naomi. So we'll live it up for the next year and a half, miss you DEARLY while you're gone, blog like it's our job and pray for a quick return. Well, I'll see you tomorrow, it'll be a great day. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

"Here He comes to save the day... it means that God's great plan is on the way..." (sung to Mighty Mouse themesong) No, seriously, I cry with you Debbie...and you know what...God does too. He hurts to see his kids crying, and He can't wait to surprise you. Hold on, you'll see what awesome gift He has in store for you in this next phase.