Monday, May 19, 2008

The Oversoul

"When you are feeling fit and the sun is shining and you do not want to believe that the whole universe is a mere mechanical dance of atoms, it is nice to be able to think of this great mysterious Force rolling on through the centuries and carrying you in its crest. If, on the other hand, you want to do something shabby, the Life-Force, being only a blind force, with no morals and no mind, will never interfere with you like that troublesome God we learned about when we were children. The Life-Force is a sort of tame God. You can switch it on when you want, but it will not bother you. All the thrills of religion and none of the cost. Is the Life-Force the greatest achievement of wishful thinking the world has yet seen?" - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

I am sure some of you may know that Oprah has been on a spirituality kick as of late. She is beginning a new series on the Oversoul and how she views the divine nature. The Oversoul is nothing but this same Life-Force mentioned by C.S. Lewis and is a depersonalization of our heavenly Father. If our souls cry out for unity with the Divine Being then this is man's solution to reach that Divine Being without having to be accountable to it at the same time. This is not a progression in Christianity, as some have been led to believe, but a digression in Christianity. The relationship Christ introduced to mankind with the "Oversoul" was one of intimacy and personal relationship with a Father. We are already past the impersonal stage of not knowing who God really is and we are already partaking in the divine nature as an intimate part of it. Why would one wish to digress from intimacy into a vague and distant relationship offered by the transcendentalism of the Oversoul? Do we really wish to stretch out our arms and instead of embracing God, hold Him at arms length. I have news... there is no "bubble" space when it comes to God. You either partake and allow Him to enter into you or you cannot be a part of His divine nature.

A belief in the Oversoul would be something expected of a person on their way to discovering truth - a step in the right direction to learning more of God. But as Christians we have already discovered truth and have progressed further into an actual relationship with God and not a mere questioning into an impersonal Deity. "When I was a child I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." 1 Corinthians 13:11. The spiritual maturity available through Christianity and an intimate relationship with our heavenly Father is what makes us "men" in this sense. We do not digress to childish ways but move forward into the spiritual adulthood offered through Christ.

Christians, do not be fooled by this seemingly harmless philosophy. It will eventually strip you of your relationship with God and you will become one of the many to which Christ must deny knowing. "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" - Matt. 7:21-23. Our relationship of intimately knowing Christ is what allows us to be enveloped into the divine nature. Desire to be part of the Oversoul is pure in intent but blemished in that it cannot be done of our own efforts. There is only one way to partake in that nature. "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.'" - John 14:6-7. See Christ and see the Father. Intimately know Christ and know the Father. This is the only way to reach the Father - the ultimate divine supreme being.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!!! I could not have said it better. Great job researching transendentalism. It's so sneaky isn't it? Kudos to you and poo-poo on Ralph Waldo Emerson.