Monday, May 26, 2008

Mustard Seed

A few months ago Naomi brought a small pot home from Sunday School. They had all planted seeds that day and we were going to try and make something grow. So Naomi and I were faithful in watering and providing sunshine to her little potted plant. Two weeks later the plant emerged from its covering of soil and began to reach up to the world around it. Soon the plant was too large for the small cup it had initially been planted in so we moved it outside. Immediately after transplanting we were bombarded with the last snows of spring. I thought for sure our little plant was lost. But as the weather warmed the plant began to darken in tone into a luscious green. It was a beautiful plant but I had absolutely no idea what it was. I hunted down the Sunday School teachers to try and find out what the kids had planted and found out they were mustard seeds. This last Sunday when I looked outside I saw a small yellow flowering head. And so here are a few pictures of Naomi's mustard seed plant.




I hear these plants are supposed to get pretty big. It already looks huge to me compared to the tiny seed we started with. It brings a whole new light to the phrase "faith as a mustard seed". When we exercise faith that small and allow the seeds to be planted we have the potential to turn into a full, blooming and lusciously green plant just like this one.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That IS big! I bet Naomi is very proud...and excited to make yer own mustard.

william cherry said...

For another view of wheat and tares and mustard seed parable, visit LSM.org [living streams ministry]. Go to radio archives and then to Matthew 13 and listen to a wonderful program. I think once you have tested the waters you will return often to find "deep answering to deep". Enjoy